Hadith of a Blind man killed his freed concubine (spouse) and he was not punished by death.
First, we need to quote the correct narration as a starting point before we go into details: –
“A blind man had a freed concubine (mother of his child=umm walad) who used to insult the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and say bad things about him. He told her not to do that, but she did not stop, and he rebuked her, but she did not heed him. One night, when she started to say bad things about the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and insult him, he took a short sword or dagger, put it on her belly and pressed it and killed her.
The following morning that was mentioned to the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). He called the people together and said, “I ask by Allah the man who has done this action and I order him by my right over him that he should stand up.” The blind man stood up and said, “O Messenger of Allah, I am the one who did it; she used to insult you and say bad things about you.
I forbade her, but she did not stop, and I rebuked her, but she did not give up her habit. I have two sons like pearls from her, and she was kind to me. Last night she began to insult you and say bad things about you. So, I took a dagger, put it on her belly and pressed it till I killed her.”
Thereupon the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “Bear witness, there is no blood money due for her.”
(Classed as sahih=Correct by al-Albaani in Saheeh Sunan An-Nasa’ee, 4081)
Before getting to the details of the answer I encourage the person asked the question to read at the end of this article information about how much Islam forbid the killing or even harassment of non-combatant non-Muslims who are minding their own business and not attacking Islam and Muslims in anyway shape or form verbal attacks included.
Regarding the concerned Hadith, the Hadith is correct and represent a real one-off incident that happened where a blind man killed his freed concubine (spouse) for insulting Prophet Muhammed peace be upon him.
There are more facts that needed to state for a start:
- The woman was NOT pregnant as some other narrations claims that she was pregnant.
- The woman was Jewish.
- The woman repeatedly= many times and more than once insulted Prophet Muhammed in front of her Blind Muslim spouse.
- In an Islamic Country governed by Islamic Law, death penalty applied to anyone including any Muslim who insults our supreme leader and final and last messenger of Almighty God Allah. This punishment is to be applied by Islamic government and not to be applied by the general population of Muslims.
- We also as Muslims do not appoint security guards on each Muslim person to stop them from getting angry and take strong REACTION when they hear someone insult our supreme leader and the last and final messenger Prophet Muhammed peace be upon him.
- Well, if you are that mentally deranged enough to insult our supreme leader and the last and final messenger Prophet Muhammed peace be upon him in front of any Muslim, we cannot guarantee the REACTION.
- The woman because of her REPETATIVE insulting of Prophet Muhammed peace be upon him had been considered as a COMBATANT fighter=Mouthpiece who promoted, spread, and incited HATRED+ANYMOSITY+TERRORISM against our supreme leader and the last and final messenger Prophet Muhammed peace be upon him.
- This is EXACTLY like CURRENT Worldwide laws that prohibits, jail, arrest, and imprison ANYONE who just produces any audio or video or even printed material to glorify the so called “terrorist organisations. That were classified as “terrorist organisations” by the countries and governments which means= The countries and governments playing the role of Prosecutor +Police officer and Judge AT THE SAME TIME.
- Just Imagine someone who decide to start a TV channel or even YouTube Channel to promote ISIS or Nazi ideology. What would the governments around the world do to them? Will let you answer this question.
- Bear in mind that there are Treason laws that punish civilians not just during war times but during peace times. A convicted traitor during peace times can be punished by death or lifetime in prison without parole.
If anyone insults you publicly and describes you as the fruit of a marriage between a male donkey and female pig. We would assume that you might take a very extreme action and take the worst-case scenario and kill that person who is insulting you if you can. We know from the real world around us that there have been lots of crimes committed in a self-defense manner for much lesser insults.
Nevertheless, let us assume that you will not take the worst-case scenario and kill that person who insulted you. We would assume that you will punish them severely for accusing you of being the fruit of a marriage between a male donkey and female pig.
We very much doubt that you are going to award them a great gift for insulting you, especially if that was in public?
We will leave the answer to this question to you to answer with yourself.
10 Quranic verses and Hadiths that forbid murder of non-Muslims if they are law abiding citizens within an Islamic Country governed by Islamic laws.
Quranic verses that affirm tolerance towards non-Muslims.
1 – “Whoever kills a soul unless for a soul or for corruption [done] in the land – it is as if he had slain mankind entirely. And whoever saves one – it is as if he had saved mankind entirely.”
(5:32 – Sahih International translation)
2 – “And do not kill the soul which Allah has forbidden [to be killed] except by [legal] right. This has He instructed you that you may use reason.”
(6:151 – Sahih International translation)
3 – “There shall be no compulsion in [acceptance of] the religion. The right course has become clear from the wrong.”
(2:256 – Sahih International translation)
4 – “And if they incline to peace, then incline to it [also] and rely upon Allah. Indeed, it is He who is the Hearing, the Knowing.”
(8:61- Sahih International translation)
5 – “O you who have believed, be persistently standing firm for Allah, witnesses in justice, and do not let the hatred of a people prevent you from being just. Be just; that is nearer to righteousness. And fear Allah; indeed, Allah is Acquainted with what you do.”
(5:8 – Sahih International translation)
6 – “Indeed, those who have believed [in Prophet Muhammad] and those [before Him] who were Jews or Sabeans or Christians – those [among them] who believed in Allah and the Last Day and did righteousness – no fear will there be concerning them, nor will they grieve.”
(5:69 – Sahih International translation)
Hadiths=Authentic Statements of Prophet Muhammed that forbid murder of non-Muslims
1 – “You would soon conquer Egypt and that is a land which is known (as the land of al-qirat). So, when you conquer it, treat its inhabitants well. For there lies upon you the responsibility because of blood-tie or relationship of marriage (with them).”
Sahih Muslim Book 31, Hadith 6174 – Sunnah.com
The blood-tie refers to Hajar, the Egyptian wife of Prophet Abraham, who gave birth to Ismail. The marriage, as argued by many scholars, refers to Mariah the Copt, who was gifted to Prophet Mohamed by Muqawqis, the Christian ruler of Egypt at the time.
2 – “Whoever killed a Mu’ahid (a person who is granted the pledge of protection by the Muslims) shall not smell the fragrance of Paradise though its fragrance can be smelt at a distance of forty years (of traveling).”
Source: Sahih Bukhari Vol. 9, Book 83, Hadith 49 – Sunnah.com
3 – “The protection granted by Muslims is one and must be respected by the humblest of them. And he who broke the covenant made by a Muslim, there is a curse of Allah, of his angels, and of the whole people upon him, and neither an obligatory act nor a supererogatory act would be accepted from him as recompense on the Day of Resurrection.”
Sahih Muslim, Book 7, Hadith 3167 – Sunnah.com
4 – “Whoever wrongs one with whom a covenant has been made, burdens him with more than he can bear or forcibly takes something from him, I will be his adversary on the Day of Judgment,” as narrated by Sawfan Ibn Sulaim through number of the Companions’ children [30 narrators according to the version of Ibn Zangawiyah and al-Baihaqi] who directly narrated from their fathers.
[Recorded by Abu Dawud in his Sunan, Ibn Zangawiyah in Al-Amwal and al-Baihaqi in As-Sunan Al-Kubra] –.
Allah knows Best.
Prepared by Mohamad Mostafa Nassar- Australia.
Make sure to copy and email this post for your reference, you might need it later.
Arrogance is not only a sign of insecurity, but also a sign of immaturity. Mature and fully realised persons can get their points across, even emphatically without demeaning or intimidating others.