𝐈𝐦𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐁𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐟𝐢𝐭𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐆𝐫𝐚𝐩𝐞𝐬/𝐑𝐚𝐢𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐬 – 𝐐𝐮𝐫𝐚𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐀𝐡𝐚𝐚𝐝𝐢𝐭𝐡
Mohamad Mostafa Nassar
GRAPES & DRIED GRAPES RAISINS(الزبيب)
1. It is called A’nab (plural) & I’nab (singular) & in Arabic and Quran.
2. In Hadiths dried Grapes (Raisins) are called as Zabib (الزبيب).
3. In Hindi, Urdu, Persain it is called as Angoor & dried one is called as Munakka, Kishmish.
ABOUT GRAPES (الزبيب):
There are 11 references about Grapes in Quran in singular & plural form.
1. Chapter 2, Sura Baqara, verse no. 266
2. Chapter 6, Sura An-nam, verse no. 100.
3. Chapter 13, Sura Raad, verse no. 4.
4. Chapter 16, Sura Nahl, verse no. 11
5. Chapter 16, Sura Nahl verse no. 67.
6. Chapter 17, Sura Bani-Israel, verse no. 91.
7. Chapter 18, Sura Kahf, verse no. 32.
8. Chapter 23, Sura Mu’minun, verse no. 19.
9. Chapter 36, Sura Yaseen, verse no. 34.
10. Chapter 78, Sura Nabaa, verse no. 31-32.
11. Chapter 80, Sura Abasa, verse no. 28.
PROPHETصلى الله عليه وسلم’S GUIDANCE ABOUT ZABIB (DRIED GRAPES) (الزبيب):
Benefits of Dried Grapes:
1. Hazrat Tamim Aldari رضي الله عنه once gifted some Raisins (dried grapes) (الزبيب) (Munakka) to Nabiﷺ & Nabiﷺ took them in his hands & said, eat this, it is a healthy meal, removes tiredness, cools the anger, gives strength, makes food sweet smelling, reduces phlegm (البلغم), brightens the face.
[Abu Nu-aim: 371]
2. Hazrat Ali رضي الله عنه says that Nabiﷺ said that for your benefits there are Raisins (dried grapes) (الزبيب) (munnaka), this improves the complexion, reduces phlegm (البلغم), strengthens the organs, removes tiredness, improves mood, increases good smell in breath & removes sorrow (grief).
[Abu Nu-aim: 319]
Dried Grapes in Inferior Complex: –
3. Hazrat Ali رضي الله عنه says that Rasoolulah ﷺ said that those who take 21 Raisins (dried grapes) (الزبيب) (Munakka) daily, will be free from all diseases which give rise to inferior complex.
[Abu Nu-aim: 813]
Dried Grapes Sharbat (Nabiz):
4. Narrated by Abu Saeed Al-Khudri رضي الله عنه that Nabi ﷺ forbade (disallowed) mixing Al-Busr (fresh unripen dates) with dried dates, or raisins with dried dates, or raisins with Al-Busr (fresh unripen dates),and He ﷺ said:’Whoever among you (wants to) drink them, let him drink each one of them on its own: dried dates on their own, or Al-Busr on their own, or raisins on their own (Separately)”.
[An-Nasa’i: 5568: Book. 51; Eng vol. 6; Book. 51, Hadees. 5571]
Drink them in Hadees, means that we should not soak the above two together to prepare Nabiz. This nabiz is syrup (sharbat) of the above when soaked in water. We can soak anyone of above & drink the Nabiz but not together. Please see the other Hadees.
5. Narrated by Ibn Abbas رضي الله عنه said “Nabiz would be made for Nabiﷺ and Heﷺ would drink it on the same day, or the next day, or the third day, and if there was any left he would throw it away or give orders that it was to be thrown away.”
[Ibn Ma-jah: 3525: Book. 30; Eng vol. 4; Book. 30, Hadees. 3399]
(Because it may turns alcoholic after 3 days).
6. Ruqaiyah Bint Amr Bin Saad رضي الله عنها said “I was under the care of Ibn Umar, and raisins would be soaked for him and he would drink them in the morning, then the raisins would be left to dry, and other raisins would be added to them, and water would be poured on top of them, and he would drink that in the morning. Then the day after, he would throw them away.”
[An-Nasa’i:5702 : Book. 51; Eng vol. 6; Book. 51, Hadees. 5705]
(Please note that the soaked raisins were not eaten). (Grapes syrup sharbat means, Raisins (dried grapes) were soaked in water for Rasoolullahﷺ & Rasoolullahﷺ use to drink this water, it is called as Nabiz).
7. Narrated by A’isha رضي الله عنها that “We used to make Nabiz for Nabiﷺ in a water skin. (Water bag made by animal skin) We would take a handful of dates or a handful of raisins, and put them in it, then pour water over it. We would make that in the morning and Heﷺ would drink it in the evening, or we would make it in the evening and Heﷺ would drink it in the morning.”
[Ibn Ma-jah: 3524: Book. 30; Eng vol.4; Book. 30, Hadees. 3398]
(Means we should soak the raisins for few hours, example 5 to 7 hours or more).
Dates & dried Grapes are prohibited to soak together to prepare Nabiz:
8. Narrated from Ibn Abi Laila, from one of the Companions of Nabi ﷺ that Nabiﷺ guided that never soak Balah (Raw dates) & Tamar (dried dates) together & dried dates (تمر) & Raisins (dried grapes) (الزبيب) together.
[An-Nasa’i: 5547: Book. 51; Eng vol. 6; Book. 51, Hadees. 5549]
(For making Nabiz)
9. Hazrat Ibn Umar رضي الله عنه reported that he was forbidden to prepare Nabiz by mixing unripe dates and fresh dates, and dates with grapes.
[Muslim: 1991A; Book no. 36; In English; Book no. 23, Hadees no. 4911]
10. Narrated by Jabir رضي الله عنه that Nabiﷺ said “Do not mix raisins and dried dates, nor Busr (fresh unripen dates) and Tamar (dried dates)”.
[An-Nasa’i:5555; Book. 51; In Eng vol. 6; Book. 51, Hadees. 5557]
11. Hazrat Ibn Abbas رضي الله عنه reported that Nabiﷺ forbade the mixing of dates and grapes together, and mixing of unripe dates and ripe dates together (for preparing Nabiz), and he wrote to the people of Jurash (in Yemen) forbidding them to prepare the mixture of dates and grapes.
[Muslim: 1990A; Book no. 36; In Eng Book. 23, Hadees. 4910]
About At-tila (thick grapes juice):
12. Narrated by Saeed Bin Al-Musayyab that “When At-tila’ (thickened grape juice) has been cooked and reduced to one-third (by boiling), then there is nothing wrong with it”.
[An-Nasa’i: 5723; Book. 51; English vol. 6; Book. 51, Hadees. 5726]
13. Abu Raja’ said: “I asked Al-Hasan about At-tila’ (thickened grape juice) that has been reduced to half. He said: ‘Do not drink it”.
[An-Nasa’i: 5724; Book. 51; Eng vol. 6; Book. 51, Hadees. 5727]
Rule of boiling our drinks:
14. Narrated by Abdullah Bin Yazad Al-khatmi that Umar Bin Al-Khattab رضي الله عنه wrote to him (saying) cook (boil) your drinks until the share of shaitaan is gone, for he has two share & you have one (means boil till 1/3 is left over & 2/3 is evaporated)
[An-Nasa’i: 5717; Book. 51; Eng vol. 6; Book. 51, Hadees. 5720]
Grapes wine Prohibited:
14. Hazrat Tariq Bin Suwayd Hijri رضي الله عنه says that he asked to Nabiﷺ that in our land there are grapes which we squeeze (to make wine). Can we drink from it?’ Nabiﷺ answered ‘No.’ I repeated the question and said: ‘We treat the sick with it.’ He said: ‘That is no cure, it is a disease.”
[Ibn Ma-jah: 3629: Book. 31; English vol. 4; Book. 31, Hadees. 3500]
15. Hazrat Ibn Umar رضي الله عنه said “Khamr is made from five things: From dates, wheat, barley, honey and grapes”.
[An-Nasa’i: 5580; Book. 51; In English vol. 6; Book. 51, Hadees. 5583]
(We are not allowed to drink khamr (Alcohol).
Seeds & Inner Pulp of dried Grapes: –
16. Hazrat Ibn Abbas رضي الله عنه says that Nabiﷺ said that, eat Raisins (dried grapes) (الزبيب) (munnaka), but remove its seeds because there an aliment (in it) & there is cure in inner pulp.
[Zahbi & Healing with the medicine of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم page no. 278]
CONCLUSION OF HADITHS:
1. Raisins (dried grapes) removes tiredness, cools anger, strengthens the organ & body, reduces phlegm, improves complexion & mood, brightens the face, and increases health.
2. 21 raisins are helpful in diseases or conditions causing inferior complex. Can drink its water soaked overnight (when alone soaked). Do not soak dates & Raisins together & nor drink.
3. Do not drink grapes wine or other wine. Do not use thick grape juice until reduces to 1/3 by boiling. Do not use its seeds. There are 16 Hadees in this lesson
HOW TO USE GRAPES, EAT IT AS FOLLOWS:
1. Eat raw ripen fruit (means fresh condition).
2. Eat Raisins (dried grapes) of small size or big size.
3. Eat raw either fresh fruit or dried (But not together).
4. Best is soaked in water and drink the water (Sharbat).
5. Please wash all types of grapes before use.
6. Open the dried grapes and soak it in water
7. Seeds can be thrown.
8. Cooked with food and dishes.
9. Can be eaten with watermelon.
10. Eat on empty stomach.
11. Never eat after meals.
12. Best eaten on empty stomach, early morning.
13. Do not use with dates.
SCIENCE REGARDING GRAPES & DRIED GRAPES:
Grape juice has recently been found to be an important source of Flavonoids that can lower risk for cancer, lower cholesterol, prevent hardening of the arteries and fight heart disease. In 1996 scientists noticed that although the French ate four times more butter and lard as Americans and had higher cholesterol and blood pressure that they had two and a half times less incidences of heart attacks. (Because French people drink grapes juice more).
The general public was thrilled when the conclusion was finally made that the Flavonoids in red wine were responsible. (wine is Haram), However, we can now celebrate over the recent finding that grape juice contains the same Flavonoids and nutrients as red wine (in about half the concentration) with none of the undesired side effects of alcohol (grapes wine).
Uses of Raisins in cold cough: Grapes are one of the most effective home remedies for the treatment of a cough. Grapes tone up the lungs and act as an expectorant (removes cough), it also relieve cold and cough in a couple of days. A cup of grape juice mixed with a teaspoon of honey is advised for cough relief. Grind up 3 ounces of raisins, adding water to make a paste. Add 3 ounces of white sugar, and heat the mixture until it forms a sauce. Allow to cool. Take half an ounce of the mixture every night at bedtime.
SCIENTIFIC BENEFITS OF GRAPES:
1. It reliefs fever & cough & lungs infection. It is good for digestion, constipation, beneficial in all disease, removes weakness & good for skin, organs, etc.
Important please note: –
1. Please wash the dried, fresh grapes, before use.
2. Open the dried grapes and soak in water,
3. The seed can be removed and thrown away
Since, it’s packed with iron, copper and B complex vitamins; they are a valuable addition to your daily diet. You can steer clear of anemia or iron deficiency by regularly consuming raisins.
High levels of polyphenolic antioxidants, known as catechins, hunt for the free radicals that lead to the occurrence of tumors, particularly colon cancer. Including raisins in your diet is a great way to prevent many forms of cancers.
3. Poor Digestion
Raisins are particularly known for containing a rich content of fiber. Hence, they serve as a great remedy to treat chronic constipation. If you want to regularize your bowel movements, use raisins regularly to keep your gastrointestinal tract healthy.
There are many essential minerals such as magnesium and potassium present in raisins. These are especially helpful in reducing acidity. Moreover, they also relieve many metabolic conditions that lead to blood toxicity. Hence, they are an effective treatment against many health conditions.
Consuming it is a great way to combat hair loss, skin diseases and joint pain. Raisins help in regulating the body’s pH level to prevent acidity and its side effects.
Since they are rich in phenolic phytochemicals, they are great antibacterial and antioxidant agents. Raisins are helpful in relieving bacterial infections or fever caused by viruses.
6. Poor Eye Health
It also include many polyphenolic phytonutrients that are great for ocular health. Because they guard our eyes from many damages caused by free radicals, we can prevent several eye diseases such as macular degeneration and cataracts by regularly consuming raisins.
They are also good sources of vitamin A and beta carotene to improve eyesight for maintaining good eye health.
7. Low Energy
If you feel low, eat a handful of raisins to boost your spirits. They are packed with carbs, especially natural sugars including glucose and fructose. This is why raisins are always handy when you need a quick boost of energy. They also help in good absorption of all essential nutrients including proteins in the body.
It is not surprising to know that many athletes and body builders eat plenty of raisins to elevate their energy levels.
8. Bad Dental Health
Another great benefit of raisins is that it contains a phytochemical called oleanolic acid that offers incredible protection against all kinds of dental problems. If you suffer from cavities, tooth decay or brittle teeth; raisins will prevent any bacterial growth in your mouth. Moreover, raisins are also rich in calcium to protect tooth enamel.
If you frequently experience high blood pressure, eat a handful of raisins to give regulate your blood flow. Since they contain many antioxidants along with iron, potassium and B-complex vitamins; It’s helpful in reducing the stiffness of blood vessels. This greatly helps in relieving and lowering hypertension. The absence of sodium makes it a great snack during hunger pangs.
10. Cures Insomnia
They are also recommended as a beneficial treatment to help sleep disorders. It’s guaranteed to fix a distorted sleep pattern.
11. Poor Bone Health
As mentioned above, raisins also contain good amounts of calcium. This is important to strengthen bones and relieve joint pain. Raisins are also great sources of a micronutrient, boron. Our body needs it in small quantities for efficient calcium absorption and bone formation.
It’s also beneficial in preventing menopause induced osteoporosis and supports good bone health.
More Health Benefits of Raisin
There are many other benefits of raisins that do a lot more to help us lead a healthier life. It is often recommended to consume for relieving constipating, lifting energy levels and to improve the quality of our hair and nails.
The rich fiber content helps keep us full for a longer time. It is a great snack if you want to avoid unhealthy food choices. They are also beneficial for weight watchers who want to include natural sugars into their daily diet without increasing their cholesterol levels.
Nutritional Value of Raisin
It greatly helps to eat raisins every day. They also serve as a great laxative owing to its impressive fiber content. Moreover, raisins also keep the bowel movement regular and flush all waste products and toxins out of our system.
They are loaded with all essential nutrients to guarantee exceptionally healthy hair and skin. They also contain vitamin C that helps in maintaining the follicle’s connective tissue or more commonly known as collagen. Hence, people who are experiencing hair loss are recommended to consume raisins. Moreover, the vitamin E present in raisins fortifies all the cell membranes in our body to prevent any damage due to free radicals.
Like many dried fruits, they are used for getting a quick energy boost. Raisins are high in calories. Every 100 grams serving offers 249 calories. They offer incredible benefits to maintain good health and to support our immunity.
Anyone who is looking to substitute his unhealthy snacks with naturally sweet foods should definitely include raisins in his diet. They are a healthy way to lose weight since raisins serve as a healthy option to replace unhealthy sweets.