The Day Of Resurrection Summarised From The Quran
Mohamad Mostafa Nassar
Indeed, they see it (Qiyamah) distant. But We see it (quite) near. ~ Quran 70:6-7
Qiyamah is also called as The Day of Reckoning, The Last Day, Yawm al-Qiyāmah, Yawm ad-Dīn or The Day of Resurrection. Believing in it is mandatory for every Muslim as it is one of the six articles of faith aka Aqidah (creed).
Unlike other posts, which is narrative in nature, we have hand-picked verses from the Quran related to Qiyamah (or the day of resurrection) and have presented it as-is. We believe these are extremely easy to understand and comprehend the way they are outlined in the Quran. However we have categorized the verses from the Quran in the logical sequence, viz. when will Qiyamah come, how will it unfold, what will happen on Qiyamah, and verses for those who deny or think Qiyamah will not come at all.
Important: there are other verses related to Qiyamah in The Quran which we have not covered here for the sake of brevity. Also there are several sahih hadiths from The Prophet (pbuh) who has told us, in great detail, on how that day will look like, viz. one day will be equal to 50,000 years (see #4 here).
When is the Day of Resurrection?
Allah has not told the exact time, but He has indicated in The Quran and via Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) the minor and the major signs before Qiyamah will come.
Quran 7:187: They ask you about the Hour (Day of Resurrection): “When will be its appointed time?” Say: “The knowledge thereof is with my Lord (Alone). None can reveal its time but He. Heavy is its burden through the heavens and the earth. It shall not come upon you except all of a sudden.” They ask you as if you have a good knowledge of it. Say: “The knowledge thereof is with Allâh (Alone) but most of mankind know not.”
Quran 33:63 – People ask you concerning the Hour, say: “The knowledge of it is with Allâh only. What do you know? It may be that the Hour is near!”
42. They ask you (O Muhammad) about the Hour, – when will be its appointed time?
43. You have no knowledge to say anything about it,
44. To your Lord belongs (the knowledge of) the term thereof?
45. You (O Muhammad Pbuh) are only a warner for those who fear it,
46. The Day they see it, (it will be) as if they had not tarried (in this world) except an afternoon or a morning.
1. I swear by the Day of Resurrection;
2. And I swear by the self-reproaching person (a believer).
3. Does man (a disbeliever) think that We shall not assemble his bones?
4. Yes, We are Able to put together in perfect order the tips of his fingers.
5. Nay! (Man denies Resurrection and Reckoning. So) he desires to continue committing sins.
6. He asks: “When will be this Day of Resurrection?”
7. So, when the sight shall be dazed,
8. And the moon will be eclipsed,
9. And the sun and moon will be joined together (by going one into the other or folded up or deprived of their light, etc.)
How does the Day of Resurrection unfold?
13. Then when the Trumpet will be blown with one blowing (the first one),
14. And the earth and the mountains shall be removed from their places, and crushed with a single crushing,
15. Then on that Day shall the (Great) Event befall,
16. And the heaven will split asunder, for that Day it (the heaven will be frail (weak), and torn up,
17. And the angels will be on its sides, and eight angels will, that Day, bear the Throne of your Lord above them.
18. That Day shall you be brought to Judgment, not a secret of you will be hidden.
1. When the heaven is cleft asunder.
2. And when the stars have fallen and scattered;
3. And when the seas are burst forth;
4. And when the graves are turned upside down (and they bring out their contents)
5. (Then) a person will know what he has sent forward and (what he has) left behind (of good or bad deeds).
2. The Day you shall see it, every nursing mother will forget her nursling, and every pregnant one will drop her load, and you shall see mankind as in a drunken state, yet they will not be drunken, but severe will be the Torment of Allâh.
6. On the Day (when the first blowing of the Trumpet is blown), the earth and the mountains will shake violently (and everybody will die),
7. The second blowing of the Trumpet follows it (and everybody will be raised up),
8. (Some) hearts that Day will shake with fear and anxiety.
9. Their eyes cast down.
10. They say: “Shall we indeed be returned to (our) former state of life?
11. “Even after we are crumbled bones?”
12. They say: “It would in that case, be a return with loss!”
13. But only, it will be a single Zajrah [shout (i.e., the second blowing of the Trumpet)].
14. When, behold, they find themselves over the earth alive after their death,
4. It is a Day whereon mankind will be like moths scattered about,
5. And the mountains will be like carded wool,
6. Then as for him whose balance (of good deeds) will be heavy,
7. He will live a pleasant life (in Paradise).
8. But as for him whose balance (of good deeds) will be light,
9. He will have his home in Hawiyah (pit, i.e. Hell).
10. And what will make you know what it is?
11. (It is) a hot blazing Fire!
1. When the sun is wound round and lost its light and is overthrown.
2. And when the stars shall fall;
3. And when the mountains shall made to pass away;
4. And when the pregnant she-camels shall be neglected;
5. And when the wild beasts shall be gathered together;
6. And when the seas shall become as blazing Fire or shall overflow;
7. And when the souls shall be joined with their bodies;
8. And when the female (infant) buried alive (as the pagan Arabs used to do) shall be questioned.
9. For what sin she was killed?
10. And when the written pages of deeds (good and bad) of every person shall be laid open;
11. And when the heaven shall be stripped off and taken away from its place;
12. And when Hell-fire shall be kindled to fierce ablaze.
13. And when Paradise shall be brought near,
14. (Then) every person will know what he has brought (of good and evil).
The Judgment Day
Here’s a short 7 minute video, a small glimpse, that describes how that day will look like.
7. And you (all) will be in three kinds (i.e. separate groups).
8. So those on the Right Hand (i.e. those who will be given their Records in their right hands), Who will be those on the Right Hand? (As a respect for them, because they will enter Paradise).
9. And those on the Left Hand (i.e. those who will be given their Record in their left hands), Who will be those on the Left Hand? (As a disgrace for them, because they will enter Hell).
10. And those foremost [(in Islâmic Faith of Monotheism and in performing righteous deeds) in the life of this world on the very first call for to embrace Islâm,] will be foremost (in Paradise).
11. These will be those nearest to Allâh.
10. On that Day man will say: “Where (is the refuge) to flee?”
11. No! There is no refuge!
12. Unto your Lord (Alone) will be the place of rest that Day.
13. On that Day man will be informed of what he sent forward (of his evil or good deeds), and what he left behind (of his good or evil traditions).
14. Nay! Man will be a witness against himself [as his body parts (skin, hands, legs, etc.) will speak about his deeds].
15. Though he may put forth his excuses (to cover his evil deeds).
22. Some faces that Day shall be Nâdirah (shining and radiant).
23. Looking at their Lord (Allâh);
24. And some faces, that Day, will be Bâsirah (dark, gloomy, frowning, and sad),
25. Thinking that some calamity was about to fall on them;
6. O man! Verily, you are returning towards your Lord with your deeds and actions (good or bad), a sure returning, so you will meet (i.e. the results of your deeds which you did).
7. Then, as for him who will be given his Record in his right hand,
8. He surely will receive an easy reckoning,
9. And will return to his family in joy!
10. But whosoever is given his Record behind his back,
11. He will invoke (his) destruction,
12. And shall enter a blazing Fire, and made to taste its burning.
13. Verily, he was among his people in joy!
14. Verily, he thought that he would never come back (to Us)!
106. On the Day (i.e. the Day of Resurrection) when some faces will become white and some faces will become black; as for those whose faces will become black (to them will be said): “Did you reject Faith after accepting it? Then taste the torment (in Hell) for rejecting Faith.”
107. And for those whose faces will become white, they will be in Allâh’s Mercy (Paradise), therein they shall dwell forever.
25. They will bear their own burdens in full on the Day of Resurrection, and also of the burdens of those whom they misled without knowledge. Evil indeed is that which they shall bear!
27. Then, on the Day of Resurrection, He will disgrace them and will say: “Where are My (so called) ‘partners’ concerning whom you used to disagree and dispute (with the believers, by defying and disobeying Allâh)?” Those who have been given the knowledge (about the Torment of Allâh for the disbelievers) will say: “Verily! Disgrace this Day and misery are upon the disbelievers.
109. On that day no intercession shall avail, except the one for whom the Most Beneficent (Allâh) has given permission and whose word is acceptable to Him.
110. He (Allâh) knows what happens to them (His creatures) in this world, and what will happen to them (in the Hereafter), and they will never compass anything of His Knowledge.
111. And (all) faces shall be humbled before (Allâh), the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists. And he who carried (a burden of) wrongdoing (i.e. he who disbelieved in Allâh, ascribed partners to Him, and did deeds of His disobedience), became indeed a complete failure (on that Day).
112. And he who works deeds of righteousness, while he is a believer (in Islâmic Monotheism) then he will have no fear of injustice, nor of any curtailment (of his reward).
66. Do they only wait for the Hour that it shall come upon them suddenly, while they perceive not?
67. Friends on that Day will be foes one to another except Al-Muttaqûn.
68. (It will be said to the true believers of Islâmic Monotheism): My worshippers! No fear shall be on you this Day, nor shall you grieve,
69. (You) who believed in Our Ayât (proofs, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) and were Muslims.
70. Enter Paradise, you and your wives, in happiness.
71. Trays of gold and cups will be passed round them, (there will be) therein all that the one’s inner-selves could desire, all that the eyes could delight in, and you will abide therein forever.
72. This is the Paradise which you have been made to inherit because of your deeds which you used to do (in the life of the world).
73. Therein for you will be fruits in plenty, of which you will eat (as you desire).
74. Verily, the Mujrimun (criminals, sinners, disbelievers, etc.) will be in the torment of Hell to abide therein forever.
75. (The torment) will not be lightened for them, and they will be plunged into destruction with deep regrets, sorrows and in despair therein.
76. We wronged them not, but they were the Zalimun (polytheists, wrong-doers, etc.).
77. And they will cry: “O Malik (Keeper of Hell)! Let your Lord make an end of us.” He will say: “Verily you shall abide forever.”
4. Do they not think that they will be resurrected (for reckoning),
5. On a Great Day,
6. The Day when (all) mankind will stand before the Lord of the ‘Alamîn (mankind, jinns and all that exists)?
10. Woe, that Day, to those who deny [(Allâh, His Angels, His Books, His Messengers, the Day of Resurrection, and Al-Qadar (Divine Preordainments)].
11. Those who deny the Day of Recompense.
12. And none can deny it except every transgressor beyond bounds, (in disbelief, oppression and disobedience of Allâh, the sinner!)
13. When Our Verses (of the Qur’ân) are recited to him he says: “Tales of the ancients!”
14. Nay! But on their hearts is the Rân (covering of sins and evil deeds), which they used to earn.
15. Nay! Surely, they (evil-doers) will be veiled from seeing their Lord that Day.
16. Then, verily they will indeed enter and taste the burning flame of Hell.
17. Then, it will be said to them: “This is what you used to deny!”
Credit Fear Hellfire
Allah knows Best.
Almighty Allah is the highest and most knowledgeable, and the attribution of knowledge to him is the safest.
Right from Almighty Allah and wrong from me and Satan
Prepared by Mohamad Mostafa Nassar
Make sure to copy and email this post for your reference, you might need it later.
Arrogance is not only a sign of insecurity, but also a sign of immaturity. Mature and fully realised persons can get their points across, even emphatically without demeaning or intimidating others.