Does Bible give Equal rights to Women ?
Mohamad Mostafa Nassar
You may find the following Bible verses hard to believe even though fundamentalist Christians claim they are inspired by God and everything in the Bible is true for all time and must be taken literally. (Keep in mind that Bible translations differ.)
1. In the Bible’s book of Deuteronomy it says that if a man marries a woman and then decides that he hates her, he can claim she wasn’t a virgin when they married. At that point her father must prove she was a virgin. (How is not explained.) If he can’t, then the girl is to be stoned to death at her father’s doorstep.
2. If you see a pretty woman among your captives and would like her for a wife, then bring her home and “go in unto her.” Later, if you decide you don’t like her, you can simply “let her go.” (Deuteronomy 21:11-14)
3. If a betrothed virgin is raped in the city and doesn’t cry out loud enough, then “the men of the city shall stone her to death.”
4. In the book of Esther the king apparently decrees a sex contest among young virgin women to see who can best please him. (There is debate on how.) He eventually chooses Esther. However, since women are viewed as inherently dirty, Esther must be “purified” for twelve months before she can be made queen. (Esther)
5. Paul points out in New Testament Romans that “the natural use” of women is to provide men with sex.
6. Heaven is to be inhabited by 144,000 virgin men who have not been “defiled” by women. (Revelations 14:1-4)
[One wonders how this squares with God’s command to, “Be fruitful and multiply…(Genesis ) ]
7. A group of sexual depraved men beat on the door of an old man’s house demanding that he turn over to them a male house guest. Instead, the old man offers his virgin daughter and his guest’s wife: “Behold, here are my virgin daughter and his concubine (wife); let me bring them out now. Ravish them and do with them what seems good to you; but against this man do not do so vile a thing.” The women were subsequently ravished and killed.
8. In Exodus we see that it is permissible to sell one’s daughter (but apparently not one’s son) into slavery
9. According to St. Jerome, “Nothing is so unclean as a woman in her periods; what she touches she causes to be unclean.” In Leviticus it states, “If a woman conceives and bears a male child, she shall be ceremonially unclean seven days…if she bears a female child she shall be unclean two weeks….”
10. “A woman dropped a stone on his head and cracked his skull. Hurriedly he called to his armor-bearer, ‘Draw your sword and kill me, so that they can’t say a woman killed me.’ So his servant ran him through, and he died.”
11. Under God’s direction, Moses’ army kills all the adult males, but they mercifully just take the women and children captive. When Moses learns that they left some women and children alive, he angrily says: “Kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.” Throughout Bible history God is said to demand that thousands, if not millions, of men, women and children be slaughtered. And they are.
12. A man has an obligation to produce a child with his brother’s widow. If he refuses, his sister-in-law is to spit in his face in front of the elders.
13. Three times a year all of the males are to appear before God. The females he never wants to see.
14. In Leviticus if a man is found having sex with animal then you should kill the animal but if you found women having sex with animal you shall kill both